Preparing For Your Interview
Interviews don't have to be a nerve-wracking experience. You can calm your nerves and greatly improve your interview success by doing a little preparation ahead of time.
So how do you prepare for your interview?
Know the company
- Visit the company website. What do they do? What are their company values?
- Read newspaper articles. What has been happening in the company/industry lately?
- Read company literature, newsletters, etc
Know about the job
- What will I be doing? Obtain a complete job description if possible.
- Who does the job report to? Try to locate an organizational chart.
- How much does the job pay? Do some labour market research to learn more about the position.
- What experiences have I had that will demonstrate I have the knowledge and skills the employer is looking for?
- What are my strengths? What are my weaknesses?
- What questions might they ask me about my knowledge, skills and experience that are related to this position?
Dress for Success
Be sure to dress appropriately for your interview:
- Clothes should be clean, ironed and “in-style”
- For guys, usually dress pants, dress shirt and tie
- For ladies, usually dress pants/skirt with blouse or pant suit
- For labour positions, dress can be more casual
- For high level professional, full suit may be appropriate
- Know the company!
Employment Solutions offers regular Resume Writing workshops and Mock Interviews. Visit the Workshops & Events tab above for dates and more information.